Thursday, January 20, 2011

First week is over

First week is over and today I decreased the dosage of Harry's meds. He was on 0.1ml of lactulose syrup twice a day, and that's now down to 0.1 ml once a day. He's also on cisapride, 0.12ml twice a day, now down to 0.08 once a day. From what I've read, this is really the best medication for him. I know in Woody's diet, it mentions mineral oil twice a week, but mineral oil will actually prevent the absorption of some nutrients when it's used long term (orally). Considering how hard it is for MC rats to get nutrients in the first place, I think it would be a bad idea for me to just guesstimate how much to give him. I am thinking of adding olive oil to his diet, but I'm not sure he really needs it. He's still pooping on his own, though they are larger than normal.

I have to admit, I'm super nervous about decreasing his meds. I was terrified when he was really constipated and his stool was dry and hard. It was so difficult for him to pass it and painful. I thought about euthanizing him EVERY day, especially at night. Now everything is going good and I'm scared to mess with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Added a couple of days later (I forgot to hit publish post when I finished above. So, two posts, combined. Wonderful):

So, Harry seems to be doing fine on the decreased meds. phew! I gave him some parsley today. He LOVED it. He didn't get very much, but I think I'll let him have it as a treat every now and then. Unless he wakes up tomorrow TOTALLY constipated. Then I'll be blaming the parlsey.

I have discovered that my rats don't know what to do with canned pumpkin, haha. With baby food, they lick it up, but they get confused with pumpkin and try to pick it up with their paws. I always see these little paw prints in their pumpkin, where they've swiped up a tiny little bit. Super cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment